Saturday 12 March 2011

ShoreTel and XIRRUS

Well, the first week has gone by and I already feel exhausted, but I'm starting to get the hang of things at the new job. We had a speaker come in and demo this wireless product called XIRRUS for us, which looks rather interesting and is said to do WI-FI differently than anyone else in the industry. A unit costs about $5,000 USD, but hopefully we get to start playing with an AP soon. Anyways, the past few days I have been getting trained on the ShoreTel Phone System, as we do a lot of installations and projects around it and are a certified reseller for the company. Because I have experience with VoIP, primarily in the Cisco world, I'm able to grasp this other vendor's product with ease. ShoreTel's IP Telephony solution is very similar to Cisco's, but they do things a little different if not easier when it comes to the administration, I believe. My Project Manager helping train me says we have approximately 8 ShoreTel projects/installations coming down the pipe, and a large deployment just around the bend. I can't wait!

Mid-week, I was shown the ShoreTel server installation process, then finally got to configure the phones on my own and test them out. The image below shows a ShoreTel IP Phone (aka ShorePhone) 265 with a ShoreTel BB24 24-line button box, and the second one shows some other phones I also setup.










No comments:

Post a Comment